Russel Garlick has called an IRC meeting for KohaCon 2010 planning at 10:00 NZDT on Tuesday, 16 Feburary 2010 (AKA 21:00 UTC+0 on Monday, 15 February):
Thanks to all who have offered to help out with KohaCon 2010.
We will be having our first IRC meeting for all conference volunteers at 10am Tuesday 16th of Feb in #koha on irc.katipo.co.nz.
For those of you in different time zones: http://bit.ly/9wnoaI
- Catch up/Present overall plan – (there will be something posted on
the wiki in the next week or so)
- Confirming roles
- Set time for regular catch up meeting on IRC.
Update: Minutes from the meeting are now available.
I have tagged v3.02.00-alpha in Git, thereby kicking off the alpha period for 3.2. The corresponding DB revision is 3.01.00.111; I’ll switch the DBrev to 3.02.00.000 for the beta. I will prepare a tarball tomorrow.
At this point, 3.2 is feature complete and development should now be in pure bugfixing mode. Only the following types of patches will be accepted for inclusion in 3.2, starting now:
- translations, including a mechanism to translate the new system preference editor
- documentation improvements
- necessary forward ports to preserve enhancements that were added to 3.0.x but which were not submitted to HEAD.
I reserve the release manager’s prerogative to bring in a few more minor enhancement patches that have already been submitted, and also reserve the right to add in one more enhancement I promised a library – permitting bibs to be cataloged without requiring any use or generation of authority records. However, if that should prove too unstable, I will not consider that last enhancement a blocker for the
general release of 3.2.
At this point, my criteria for moving to beta are as follows:
- all HEAD and 3.2 blocker bugs are resolved, recategorized, or intentionally targeted for 3.4.
- we have proof of a clean upgrade path from 3.0.0 to 3.2.0.
- we have proof of a clean upgrade path from 3.0.5/6 to 3.2.0 – because of the numerous functionality enhancements in the 3.0.x series, this upgrade path is definitely distinct from the path originating in 3.0.0.
- we have a completely clean pass of all test cases on (at least) Debian Lenny.
Regarding management of branches in git.koha.org repository, I intend to start a 3.2.x branch and have bugfixes patches flow from HEAD to 3.2.x. I recommend that patches meant for inclusion in 3.4 be applied to a new 3.4-future topic branch, but leave final word on that up to Chris.
Translators can consider a soft string freeze to be in effect – string changes to fix en-US typos will be accepted, but by and large strings should now be stable.
I’m working on full release notes, but notable improvements in 3.2 include but are not limited to:
- A revamped acquisitions module
- An improved system preference editor
- Improved patron card and item label creator
- email checkout slips
- branch transfer limits
- support for Syndetics, LibraryThing, and Babeltheque enhanced content
- improvements in Koha’s ability to express circulation policies
As with any alpha release, 3.2-alpha is not recommend for use in a production environment.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Koha, we would like to invite the world to Wellington. Here is your chance to the meet the folks from the original Koha library and have a drink with them.
October 25 – November 2 2010
- 3 day conference
- followed by a hackfest
Wellington Convention Centre Civic Suites 107 Wakefield Street Wellington
The next general IRC meeting of the Koha project will be held on Tuesday, 9 February 2010 at 11:00 UTC+0. See the meeting wiki page for more information. Connect to the #koha channel on irc.katipo.co.nz to participate.
Update: A transcript of the meeting is now available.